You can file your taxes anytime once the New Year rolls in, however, the IRS doesn’t start processing returns until the IRS e-File goes live.
Regardless of when this happens, taxes are almost always due by April 15th unless you have requested an October extension from the IRS. The IRS always prefers electronically filed tax returns, and they reward those taxpayers who file that way with quicker processing and refunds.
- January 15th – The day you can legally file your return. However, the IRS more than likely won’t process them until later in the month.
- January 20th – IRS E-file goes live, and processing of electronic and paper returns begin.
- January 31st – The deadline for employers to have all of their employees W-2s to them.
- April 15th – The last day to file your federal income tax return or request an extension. Also, the deadline for most state returns.
- October 15th – Deadline for filing extended tax returns for both federal and state taxpayers.
- April 15th, 2019 – Deadline for filing an amended tax return.
When You Can Expect Your IRS Tax Refund
Once you have your return accepted by the IRS, your refund is based on the IRS E-file Refund Cycle Chart. It is estimated that if you electronically filed and selected direct deposit as your payment receivable method, you should get your refund in no more than 2 weeks. However, if you are waiting for a paper check, it can take an additional week. Before contacting the IRS about your refund, you should give them 30 days.
Some taxpayers think that if they file earlier, they will get their refund faster. However, the average time that it takes to receive your refund is going to be the same amount of time, even if you file sooner rather than later. We recommend filing between the middle of February and the end of March so you can make sure that you have received all of your tax forms and documentation so you can be accurate when filing your taxes.
The Benefits of Filing Your Taxes Online
Keep in mind, if you file online with H&R Block, they will ask you the correct questions to let you know which deductions you qualify for and guarantee you will receive the largest refund ever. Their online filing services have the ability to get your W2 information and enter it into your tax return so you can avoid worrying about your forms being delivered via snail mail. You can also use their free tax refund estimator to see how much of a refund you can expect.
How to File Taxes Online With TurboTax and Get the Biggest Refund!
|Remember, with TurboTax Online Tax Filing we’ll ask you simple questions and fill out the right forms for you. We’ll find every tax deduction and credit you qualify for to get you the biggest tax refund, guaranteed!|